The origin homeland of To clan in Lam Tei was Poyang in Jiangxi. They were the descendants of To Dan in Poyang, Jiangxi. To Hon (To Yuen-ming), a famous poet in the Jin Dynasty was their ancestor. From To Hon to To Man-chi for 18 generations, the To’s family migrated to Bao’an in Guangdong from Guangxi, they then moved again from Bao’an in Guangdong to Ngau Tam Mei in Yuen Long, and they finally settled in Tuen Mun with establishment of Tuen Mun Tsuen becoming the founding ancestor of the To clan in Tuen Mun.
In the Ming Dynasty, To clan built Tuen Mun Tsuen as their family estate. The son of To Man-chi, namely Man Chu-si had three sons. The second and third son later migrated to Panyu and Xinhui respectively while the eldest son named Ka-yee remained in Tuen Mun. He had four sons. Except the forth son who later migrated to Huizhou, his other three sons remained in Tuen Mun. Their families proliferated until now becoming a large clan in Tuen Mun.
To Man-chi and To Chu-si first established Tuen Mun Tsuen. According to “History of Bao’an County” during the reign of Kangxi in the Qing Dynasty, when Kangxi abolished coastal evacuation decree and restored the boundary, the clansmen of To then built Wong Kong Wai (Nai Wai), Mak Yuen Wai (Tsing Chuen Wai), Tuen Tsz Wai (Tin Tsz Wai), Wing On Tsuen and Tai Yuan Wai (San Tsuen Wai) successively during the Qianlong reign (1736-1795) of the Qing dynasty. Some of the clansmen moved to other places, like Fu Tei Tsuen, San Hui Tsuen and Yuen Long, etc.
Tsing Chuen Wai was originally called Mak Yuen Wai. The area was originally a piece of golden wheat field when the village was built and so it was named as Mak Yuen Wai. The lintel of the village was engraved with two characters “Mak Yuen” (literally means wheat field). In addition, since the houses in this village were usually made of green bricks produced in the vicinity, so this walled village also called Tsing Chuen Wai (“Tsing Chuen” literally means green brick).